1) When the parents of a man or woman haven’t voted in their lifetimes, then their child is not as likely to vote than they would be if he or she had been brought up in a household where the parents always vote.
Children of nonvoters are less likely to vote.
2) If your parents or the head of the household in which you were raised are voters, you are far more likely to vote.
When children are raised by parents that vote, they tend to vote more often.
3) As genetic testing has demonstrated many times, residents of death row often spend the rest of their lives there for crimes they may or may not have committed.
Genetic testing has exonerated many death row inmates.
4) Harvard is considered to be as difficult to get into if not more difficult as Yale.
Harvard is considered at least as difficult to get into as Yale.
5) Admissions officers are more likely to admit students who look like the majority of the student body even when they don’t appear to be prejudiced in other ways.
Admissions officers admit more students who look like the majority, even if they don’t have prejudiced intentions.
6) My parole officer is one of those kinds of people where if I don’t show up for an appointment he always suspects me of doing something that violates the terms of my parole.
If I don’t show up for an appointment with my parole officer, he always suspects I’m violating my parole.
7) The only kind of person who won’t buy this car is the kind that doesn’t understand that the car costs more to buy but that the savings in gas will make up for the higher cost in less than a year.
People who don’t buy this car do not understand that the savings in gas makes up for its’ higher price in less than a year.
8) There is a tendency among children who have suffered from being abused when they were young to be more likely to abuse their own children when they have them later in life.
Parents who were abused as children tend to abuse their own children.
9) By getting better mileage than cars that run on gasoline only, cars that can switch from gas to electric when conditions permit it have been created to help drivers save money.
Cars that can switch between gas and electric fuel sources save money by getting better mileage.
10) With their ability to run on gas or electricity depending on traffic conditions, drivers shopping for a new car have to decide between hybrids and cars with conventional engines.
Drivers shopping for cars can now choose between cars with conventional engines and hybrids.