For most writing, your primary audience is readers who understand grammar. They may understand the meaning of badly-made sentences, but they’ll also recognize them as badly made and lose faith in the author.
Don’t be that author. We want to be taken seriously on all topics, even those about which we are not credentialed authorities. Except for the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, nobody gets a pass for using poor grammar to write about the nation’s military defense. Our authorial voice and good writing ARE our only credential.
Copy and paste the sentences into a Reply field below. Edit or rewrite the sentences to correct any modifier errors you find. Make the smallest changes possible that correct the error. Leave any correct sentences alone.
- A dog appeared in my dream that seemed to have my father’s eyes.
- The assistant watched the mechanic assemble the engine parts while biting his nails.
- Even wearing a helmet, a bicycle can still be quite dangerous.
- With forty years of experience, you can trust us for quality care.
- Walter preferred female singer-songwriters unlike his sister.
- By booing the Commissioner at the ball park, he was embarrassed.